Worker received improper first aid on night shift

From Health and Safety Matters


A Company that manufactures absorbent products has been fined after an agency worker suffered a life-changing injury to her hand when it was caught in a rotating fan blade.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found the fan had not been suitably guarded, putting employees and agency workers at risk. The company had failed to carry out a suitable risk assessment and provide adequate information, instruction and training to workers. No first aid provision was available on the night shift when the incident occurred, and this contributed to the injured person suffering further as incorrect first aid was administered.

HSE inspector Sharon Butler said after the hearing: “This injury could have easily been prevented and the risk should have been identified.

“Employers must make sure they properly assess and apply effective control measures to minimise the risk from dangerous parts of machinery.”

Full article



Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply